- Determining when an iOS backup was created (8/30/2018) - One point of contention in the FOR585 Advanced Smartphone Forensic class is – which files store the correct datetime for when a user created an iOS backup? I’ve engaged in a few friendly arguments over this topic and it recently popped up again when Lee was teaching in NYC in August. Every time this question comes … Continue reading Determining when an iOS backup was created
- Forensic Grunt Work (8/27/2018) - Looking to blog and don’t know where to post it? I am happy to host your thoughts for you. Below is the first guest blog post by a past FOR585 student. If you have something to write about, please let me know. by Terrence D. Williams I have revisited this same post in my mind … Continue reading Forensic Grunt Work
- Smartphone Acquisition: Adapt, Adjust and Get Smarter! (6/25/2018) - June 25, 2018 I have been recently asked by students for a summary on how to handle smartphone acquisition of iOS and Android devices. I have avoided writing it down, like I would avoid the Plague, because mobile changes so quickly and I don’t want people to read something and live by it. I wrote … Continue reading Smartphone Acquisition: Adapt, Adjust and Get Smarter!
- First the Grinch and now the Easter Bunny! Where is Apple Maps hiding? (3/30/2018) - Why is it that I stumble upon a smartphone artifact that drives me bonkers around holidays??? I am in the midst of the FOR585 course updates and I go through everything in great detail during this time. I expect to see major changes in a full version update (aka iOS 10 to iOS 11 … Continue reading First the Grinch and now the Easter Bunny! Where is Apple Maps hiding?
- My Handy Smartphone Toolbox (10/28/2017) - I realize it’s been awhile and these tools have really changed since my last post in 2015. Have they changed for the better? Not necessarily. Some tools update so quickly that they lose the basics. For that reason, please test and validate your tools and never trust what is advertised. Your goal should be to … Continue reading My Handy Smartphone Toolbox
It's time to get SMARTER!