- How the Grinch stole Apple Maps artifacts… or did he just hide them? (12/23/2016) - Happy Holidays everyone! Tis the time to be relaxing with family or just sitting in your office writing a blog. 🙂 This post is brought to you thanks to a FOR585 Advanced Smartphone Forensic alumni who could not locate an artifact he learned about in class. This artifact is tied to Apple Maps on iOS … Continue reading How the Grinch stole Apple Maps artifacts… or did he just hide them?
- Update: Solutions for iOS10 – Encrypted Backup Files, Cracking Passwords and Data Acquisition (9/23/2016) - Happy Friday everyone. After my post last week, I was in touch with several vendors about what was occurring, my thoughts and how they intended to fix the problem when it comes to accessing the backup file data. Since then, two vendors (Cellebrite and Elcomsoft) reached out with an updated solution. I tested these tools … Continue reading Update: Solutions for iOS10 – Encrypted Backup Files, Cracking Passwords and Data Acquisition
- A glimpse of iOS 10 from a smartphone forensic perspective (9/17/2016) - I immediately installed and started using iOS 10.0.1 when the full release was available. For this testing, I used my non-jailbroken iPhone 6S and iTunes 22.214.171.124 with the addition of free and commerical tools. My intention is to share my initial thoughts on what is different in iOS 10 and what to expect when you … Continue reading A glimpse of iOS 10 from a smartphone forensic perspective
- So you want to break into the field of Digital Forensics… (8/27/2016) - It seems like I am asked this question at least twice a month via email. This week, I was asked 4 times. Instead of telling people the same thing over and over, I figured I would write a blog and refer the next person to it. Having said that, if you have positive experiences to … Continue reading So you want to break into the field of Digital Forensics…
- iPhone Forensics – Separating the Facts from Fiction (2/24/2016) - For those of you who missed the efforts that Sarah Edwards, Cindy Murphy and I put together, the links are below for you to enjoy. The webcast provides and overview of our thoughts on what is being requested by the FBI, what Apple may be able to do and how we, examiners, need to be … Continue reading iPhone Forensics – Separating the Facts from Fiction
It's time to get SMARTER!